It’s been a while since the release of the last XCOM game, with the latest in the series being the XCOM 2: War of the Chosen expansion pack released back in 2017. If you’re itching for another turn-based tactics game, 2K has recently announced that XCOM: Chimera Squad is releasing on Windows PC on April 24, 2020.
Chimera Squad is a standalone XCOM game that’s set five years after the events of XCOM 2. In the game, mysterious groups threaten the co-existence of humans, hybrids, and aliens in City 31. To combat this, Chimera Squad is formed — a task force of elite human, hybrid, and aliens who must work together to fight off the new threats.
XCOM: Chimera Squad’s gameplay features include:
- Unique Alien and Human Agents: Each of the 11 agents have their own distinct personality and tactical abilities, including species-specific attacks like the Viper’s tongue pull.
- Specialized and Complementary Classes: Execute devastating combos by teaming the right agents and utilizing cooperative actions. The difference between mission success and failure can depend wholly on team composition.
- Re-Envisioned Tactical Combat: Missions are structured as a series of discrete, explosive encounters, keeping the action intense and unpredictable.
- Breach Mode: Players will shape the battlefield to their advantage with a new combat phase that injects squads right into action. They will strategically assign agents to different entry points and coordinate their assault plans with a range of Breach-specific skills.
- Interleaved Turns: An automatic initiative system will slot individual agents and enemies into an alternating turn order, creating new strategic possibilities based on what unit is queued to act next – and what unit is at the greatest risk when they do so.
- Suspenseful Strategy Layer: Outside of combat, players will manage the operations of a hightech HQ, where they must prioritize competing tasks, investigations and agent assignments in the face of a ticking clock: the constantly rising unrest in the city’s various districts, driving City 31 closer and closer to total anarchy.
XCOM: Chimera Squad launches on April 24 as a single digital download on PC via Steam with an introductory price of USD 9.99 (around PHP 508). The game will then be available at its SRP of USD 19.99 (around PHP 1,016) starting May 1, 2020.