As one of the most popular and poignant expressions of visual art, photography captures the essence of human experience unlike any other medium. In just a few, unmoving frames, people are able to bring life, inspiration, and drama out of just the right composition of light, distance, and focus.
HUAWEI, the world’s leading technology company, today invites its community of millions to create and share their most uplifting and inspirational images as part of NEXT-IMAGE 2020, the world’s biggest smartphone photography and video competition. Turning it in to a celebration of the positive power of creativity, Huawei will share the joy far and wide – as well as offering prizes for the most creative captures – hoping to bring the world together, even when they are apart.
That includes Filipino creatives who, over the past two years of participation in NEXT-IMAGE, have stood shoulder-to-shoulder with the world’s best smartphone photographers.
Open to Huawei owners, HUAWEI NEXT-IMAGE 2020 will offer amateur smartphone photographers and visual storytellers who share their uplifting images, over 70 chances to win cash prizes of up to $10,000, with the most powerful images selected by a collection of the world’s leading photography experts.
Highlighting positivity through six categories
In step with the previous NEXT-IMAGE contests, HUAWEI is encouraging participants to explore a variety of perspectives in their photography/videography through six categories:
- Near Far: Uncover life’s hidden gems whether they’re close-up or at a distance using the telephoto, wide-angle, or macro-shooting features on the phone’s camera.
- Good Night: Moody or mysterious, make the most out of shadowy settings through captivating low-light photography.
- Hello, Life!: Share the magic and inspiration found in everyday life, a thousand words encapsulated in a single picture.
- Faces: Use portrait photography to frame the human expression in the most creative of ways.
- Live Moments: For up to 10 minutes, shoot a mini-movie that highlights a positive story yearning to be shared.
- Storyteller: In 3 to 9 images, convey a narrative, an emotional journey, a profound change – whatever life around us is bursting to be told.
Filipino talents rake in awards
Having received over 520,000 entries in the previous year alone, HUAWEI NEXT-IMAGE Awards is gearing up for even more participants in 2020. Mobile photography enthusiasts all over the world are encouraged to send in their best work using Huawei’s powerful stable of smartphone camera technology.
Among that colossal number of entries are a number of Filipino creatives whose images ended up winning runner-up awards in their respective categories. Aivee Balas (Faces), Marwin Javier (Faces), Jaylord Plaza (Going the Distance), Gifferson Pengson (Hello Life!), Albert Guevara (Hello Life!), Rolando Tunay Batacan (Hello Life!), Romelo Jamisola (#Emotion Tag), and Tawpee Comeso (#Emotion Tag) all showcased their photography talents and achieved recognition for them on a global stage.
Capture your winning image using Huawei smartphones
Mobile photography enthusiasts all over the world are encouraged to send in their best work using Huawei’s powerful stable of smartphone camera technology. To qualify for an entry, the participant needs to fulfill the following basic conditions:
- Must be 18 years old and above.
- Submission must be an original image shot using any Huawei smartphone (Honor phones included).
- Entries must be in .jpg format at least 1000 pixels in size and 20MB at most, edited only using Huawei phones.
Determining finalists from the Philippines will be conducted on a weekly period (by category) from April to July 2020. Submission periods and winner highlights for each category are as follows:
- April 27: Announcement of categories
- May 5 – May 12: Submission period for Hello Life! category entries
- May 17: Hello Life! winner announcement
- May 19 – May 26: Submission period for Good Night category
- May 31: Good Night winner announcement
- June 2 – June 9: Submission period for Near Far category
- June 14: Near Far winner announcement
- June 16 – June 23: Submission period for Faces category
- June 28: Faces winner announcement
- June 30 – July 7: Submission period for Live Moments category
- July 12: Live Moments winner announcement
- July 14 – July 21: Submission period for Storyteller category
- July 26: Storyteller winner announcement
For more details on contest mechanics and weekly entry schedules and highlights, visit Huawei Philippines’ social media pages as well as the official HUAWEI NEXT-IMAGE Awards 2020 website: https://gallery.consumer.huawei.com/2020/index.html