As part of the series’ 20th Anniversary celebration, Square Enix has announced that the Kingdom Hearts series is releasing on the Nintendo Switch. Specifically, Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX, Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue, and Kingdom Hearts III will be available soon on Nintendo’s console, though these will release as Cloud Versions.
In case you’re unfamiliar, Cloud Versions are Switch games that don’t run natively on the console. Instead, these games run on servers and are streamed to a Switch; kind of like a Switch-only version of Google Stadia or PlayStation Now. Given this, to play the Kingdom Hearts games on the Switch, you will need a fast and reliable internet connection.
As a refresher, here’s a quick rundown of all the Kingdom Hearts games that are included in each release:
KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX
- KINGDOM HEARTS FINAL MIX
- KINGDOM HEARTS Re:Chain of Memories
- KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 Days (HD Remastered Cinematics)
- KINGDOM HEARTS II FINAL MIX –
- KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep FINAL MIX
- KINGDOM HEARTS Re:Coded (HD Remastered Cinematics)
KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
- KINGDOM HEARTS Dream Drop Distance HD
- KINGDOM HEARTS 0.2 Birth by Sleep -A fragmentary passage-
- KINGDOM HEARTS χ Back Cover (movie)
KINGDOM HEARTS III
- Includes the Re Mind DLC
Right now, there’s no word yet on a release date for these Kingdom Hearts Cloud Versions. What we do know is that each game will be available as a standalone purchase, as well as an all-in-one package called the Kingdom Hearts Integrum Masterpiece.