Back in May of last year, Nintendo announced that the Switch has sold over 55 million units from release to March 2020. Now, Nintendo revealed that the Switch sold a whopping 11.57 million units from October to December 2020. Thanks to this massive quarter along with the console’s strong sales throughout 2020, the Nintendo has now sold 79.87 million Switch consoles worldwide as of December 31, 2020. This sales record includes both standard Switch consoles and its Lite variant.
The announcement was made via the latest Nintendo earnings report. There, Nintendo also forecasts that it will sell 26.5 million Switch units between April 2020 and March 2021, up from its previous 24 million units forecast.
Aside from Switch console sales numbers, Nintendo also revealed the list of 10 best-selling first-party Switch games:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 33.41 million
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 31.18 million
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 22.85 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 21.45 million
- Pokemon Sword / Pokemon Shield – 20.35 million
- Super Mario Odyssey – 20.23 million
- Super Mario Party – 13.82 million
- Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! / Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee! – 13.00 million
- Splatoon 2 – 11.90 million
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 9.82 million
With Switch console sales showing no signs of slowing down, it won’t be surprising to see Nintendo’s hybrid console break the 100 million units sold mark soon. If it reaches 102 million unit sales, the Switch will become Nintendo’s best-selling home console ever, as the Wii (the current record holder) has 101.63 million units sold. When compared with Nintendo’s portable consoles though, the Switch still has a long way to go before it can beat the Nintendo DS’ 154 million unit sales.