What type of shopper are you? That’s the question that Shopee Philippines intended to find out. Commissioning a survey of about 3000 Filipinos ages 18 to 34, they came up with these glaring 4 types.
Which one do you belong to?
The four key types of Filipino online shoppers are:
1) The Sulit Shopper – Decisive shoppers who hunt for the best deals
42% of respondents are Sulit Shoppers. They prioritize finding the best deals and prices before making an online purchase. These shoppers are patient and take the time to research products, but act quickly when they discover deals they like.
- Decisive buying: 66% browse a maximum of just five items before making a purchase
- Deals seeking: 62% don’t typically plan purchases in advance—they shop whenever they see big discounts on products they’re eyeing
- Regular shopping: Half of them buy something online at least twice a month
Sulit Shoppers can rejoice at the 7.7 Mid-Year Sale, which offers non-stop deals and discounts. They can save money on shipping, get discounts, and claim cashback at the Vouchers Sale on July 6. During the 7.7 period, they can also tap on the Vouchers button on the Shopee homepage for one-stop access to the best deals.
2) The Shop-and-Go Consumer – Shoppers who enjoy the convenience of delivery to their doorstep
For a lot of Filipinos, online shopping’s main draw is convenience. 17% of shoppers surveyed turn to online shopping for its ease and safety. More than half of the shoppers in this community are 30 years old. They know what they want to buy and do not necessarily spend extra time on the app, but will often make impulse purchases if they stumble upon good deals.
- Quick decision-making: 64% browse through a maximum of five listings before they find what they’re looking for
- Proactive shopping: Almost one in two do their own research on products by either searching online or chatting with sellers
- Frequent shopping: 45% shop online twice a month on average, making them one of the most frequent purchasers
Shop-and-Go Consumers can take advantage of Free Shipping on Shopee’s home page. They’ll also love the convenience of ShopeePay, Shopee’s built-in e-wallet. On ShopeePay Day this July 1, they can enjoy ShopeePay-exclusive rewards, such as free shipping, cashback, and ₱1 deals.
3) The Budol Shopper – Window shoppers who can also be spontaneous buyers
Making up 14% of respondents, the Budol Shopper refers to window shoppers who value variety and choice of products. Compared to the Sulit Shopper, the Budol Shopper browses more items on average, and are also more likely to spontaneously check out a product that catches their eye. In other words, these buyers are prone to last-minute panic buying spree.
- Impulsive buying: 63% will buy an item because they felt like doing so at the moment
- Frequent browsing: 27% of window shoppers usually browse up to 15 items before each purchase
This 7.7, Budol Shoppers can window shop to their hearts’ content across Shopee’s themed days such as Home Tech Sale on June 24, Home & Outdoors Sale on June 25, Kids & Babies Sale on June 26, and Apparel & Shoes Sale on June 27. Each sale offers a huge selection of discounted products from popular categories.
4) The Suki Buyer – Shoppers who have a good eye for brands
Suki Buyers make up 12% of respondents, and they shop online because they can find their favorite brands easily. Unlike Sulit Shoppers, shoppers who prioritize finding the best value, brand fans are less price-sensitive. Instead, they value having a large variety of brands to choose from, as well as accessing perks and loyalty points from brands they follow.
- Regular shopping from brands: 62% of them purchase from their favorite brands as frequently as twice a month
- Brand familiarity: About 1 in 4 follow their favorite brands on social media in order to stay informed of latest product launches
Suki Buyers will enjoy the RB Super Brand Day until June 23, Vivo Super Brand Day from June 27-28, and Olay Super Brand Day from June 28-30, which all offer exclusive deals from well-loved brands on Shopee Mall. Suki Buyers can also get exclusive perks from their favorite brands, such as 30% off vouchers, at the Shopee Mall Sale this June 29.
Check out Shopee’s ongoing 6.6-7.7 Mid-Year Sale now and check those carts out to your heart’s content!