At CES 2022, Sony revealed the full specs along with more details on PlayStation VR2 (aka PS VR2) and the PlayStation VR2 Sense controller. Along with the specs, Sony also confirmed that the next-gen VR platform is officially called PlayStation VR2.
Here are the official specs of the PS VR2 and the new Sense controller:
PlayStation VR2 Specifications
- Display method – OLED
- Panel resolution – 2000 x 2040 per eye
- Panel refresh rate – 90Hz, 120Hz
- Lens separation – Adjustable
- Field of View – Approx. 110 degrees
- Sensors Motion Sensor – Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer)
- Attachment Sensor – IR Proximity sensor
- Cameras – 4 cameras for headset and controller trackingIR camera for eye tracking per eye
- Feedback – Vibration on headset
- Communication with PS5 USB Type-C®
- Audio Input – Built-in microphoneOutput: Stereo headphone jack
PlayStation VR2 Sense Controllers Specifications
- [Right] PS button, Options button, Action buttons (Circle / Cross), R1 button, R2 button, Right Stick / R3 button
PS button, Create button, Action buttons (Triangle / Square), L1 button, L2 button, Left Stick / L3 button
- Sensing/ Tracking Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope + three-axis accelerometer)
- Capacitive Sensor – Finger Touch DetectionIR LED: Position Tracking
- Feedback - Trigger Effect (on R2/L2 button), Haptic Feedback (by single actuator per unit)
- Port – USB Type-C® Port
- Communication - Bluetooth® Ver5.1
- Battery Type – Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery
Along with the specs, PlayStation also revealed the following PSVR 2 details:
- Visual Fidelity: PS VR2 offers 4K HDR, 110-degree field of view, with an OLED display that has a display resolution of 2000×2040 per eye and smooth frame rates of 90/120Hz.
- Headset-based Controller Tracking: PS VR2 tracks you and your controller through integrated cameras embedded in the VR headset. No need for an external camera.
- New Sensory Features: PS VR2 Sense Technology combines eye tracking, headset feedback, 3D Audio, and the innovative PS VR2 Sense controller to create enhanced immersion.
- Eye Tracking: PS VR2 detects the motion of your eyes, so a simple look in a specific direction can create an additional input for the game character.
While Sony has revealed new info on the next-generation VR platform, there’s no info yet on a release date. Though if a recent report is to be believed, the new VR generation will release later this year.