Following the expansion announcement, a new Elden Ring update was released recently, and it adds ray tracing to the PS5, Series X, and PC.
Ray tracing is a hyped feature for many games, but it’s not a singular thing as it can refer to ray-traced shadows, lighting, or reflections. The game’s patch notes don’t go into detail about what kind of ray tracing was added in Elden Ring, but based on recent reports, there seems to be ray-traced shadows and possibly lighting.
Here’s a quick sample from Digital Foundry:
Heads up for those wanting to try Elden Ring's new RT mode on PS5/Series X and not seeing a difference: enabling the ray tracing option is not enough. You'll need to exit to the game's title screen first, and then re-load your save for RT to engage properly. pic.twitter.com/EqW6tSaleE
— Digital Foundry (@digitalfoundry) March 23, 2023
If you’re on PS5 or Xbox Series X, your console should have no issues playing the game with ray tracing, though the framerate will likely take a hit. But based on the sample above, the graphical improvement is definitely noticeable. So turning it off or on will depend on what you prioritize.
On PC though, you’ll need to meet the following system requirements:
- OPERATING SYSTEM: WINDOWS 10
- PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-10600K or AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
- MEMORY: 16 GB RAM
- GRAPHIC CARD: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti, 8 GB or AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT, 12 GB
- RECOMMENDED GRAPHICS SETTING: 1080p – Low quality – Low Ray Tracing
- OPERATING SYSTEM: WINDOWS 11
- PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-10700K or AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT
- MEMORY: 16GB RAM
- GRAPHIC CARD: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti, 8 GB or AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT, 16 GB
- RECOMMENDED GRAPHICS SETTING: 1080p – High quality – High Ray Tracing
ELDEN RING update 1.09 is now available.
Full patch notes can be viewed here: https://t.co/Su9mOtjsXj
Please apply this patch to continue playing #ELDENRING online. pic.twitter.com/hsKqa1usku
— ELDEN RING (@ELDENRING) March 23, 2023
Along with ray tracing, the new Version 1.09 update also comes with a range of balance adjustments (for both PvP and PvE) and bug fixes.
For the full details on the update, visit the official Bandai Namco website.