Following the game’s reveal just last week, SEGA has now released Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown for PS4. The game is currently available for free this month for all PS Plus subscribers, and is available as a separate purchase for players without a PS Plus subscription.
In case you’re unfamiliar, Ultimate Showdown is a remake of the original Virtua Fighter 5 which released back in 2006 for PS3 and Xbox 360. Ultimate Showdown was made as part of SEGA’s 60th anniversary, and it is co-developed by Sega AM2 with help from Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (RGG Studio); the game even runs on RGG Studio’s own Dragon Engine which is used for the Yakuza games.
While Ultimate Showdown plays almost exactly like the original, it does come with improved graphics, as well as a range of enhanced game modes. Alongside the classic game modes, there will also be many esports game modes. The game modes available in Ultimate Showdown include:
- Tournament Matches – Single-Elimination mode and Double Elimination modes are availalbe
- League Matches – Played in a round-robin format
- Ranked Matches – An online battle mode where players are matched based on their ranking
- Arcade – A single-player mode where players battle against CPUs in 8 stages
- Training – 3 training modes, including Command Training, Free Training, and the Tutorial
- Online Vs. – An online battle mode
Aside from the main game, SEGA also released the the Legendary Pack, a DLC pack that brings a range of features, including character clothing sets as well as many features from the original Virtua Fighter such as character models, stages, UI, and more.
Here are the contents of the Virtua Fighter 5 Legendary Pack DLC:
- Character customization items (approx. 2,000)
- Character costume types (19 in total)
- Character models from the original Virtua Fighter (39 in total)
- Stages from the original Virtua Fighter game
- Battle UI from the original Virtua Fighter game
- BGM from the Virtua Fighter series (180 tracks in total)
- Match spectator stickers (36 in total)
Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown is available now on the PS4, and it is playable on the PS5 via backwards compatibility.