In Elden Ring, FromSoftware introduced Spirit Ashes. This new feature lets players summon friendly spirits that aid them in encounters. Spirit Ashes are introduced early into the game as you’ll be given the Spirit Calling Bell for free by a certain NPC named Roderika.
Roderika can be found at Stormhill Shack. She later moves to Roundtable Hold, and by exhausting both her and Smithing Master Hewg, she will unlock the ability to upgrade Spirit Ashes.
As they can distract enemies or even dish out good damage, Spirit Ashes are invaluable in certain Elden Ring boss fights, but you need to upgrade them regularly so that they don’t die immediately.
Elden Ring features to types of Spirit Ashes: Standard and Elite. To upgrade your standard Spirit Ashes, you will need Grave Gloveworts. Meanwhile, elite Spirit Ashes will require Ghost Gloverworts to upgrade.
Here is a rundown of the Glovewort levels and their corresponding upgrades:
- Grave/Ghost Glovewort  – Upgrade Spirit Ash to +1
- Grave/Ghost Glovewort  – Upgrade Spirit Ash to +2
- Grave/Ghost Glovewort  – Upgrade Spirit Ash to +3
- Grave/Ghost Glovewort  – Upgrade Spirit Ash to +4
- Grave/Ghost Glovewort  – Upgrade Spirit Ash to +5
- Grave/Ghost Glovewort  – Upgrade Spirit Ash to +6
- Grave/Ghost Glovewort  – Upgrade Spirit Ash to +7
- Grave/Ghost Glovewort  – Upgrade Spirit Ash to +8
- Grave/Ghost Glovewort  – Upgrade Spirit Ash to +9
- Great Grave/Ghost Glovewort – Upgrade Spirit Ash to +10
Where to find Grave and Ghost Gloveworts
Gloverworts can generally be harvested in crypt-type dungeons. These dungeons have Gloveworts inside that can be picked up for free.
The entrance to these crypt-type dungeons can be hard to spot. Thankfully, there are usually statues such as the one in the image above that can point you to their entrances. Simply walk up to a statue and activate it so that it points you to the right direction.
Aside from these dungeons, there are also other areas in the Lands Between where you can find Gloveworts. Though you will need to explore some bigger dungeons in order to get them.