Riot Games recently kicked off League of Legends Season 2023, and it brings lots of new events, updates, in-game items, and more.
These new additions are divided into the new season missions/rewards, champions, skins, ranked updates, and the LoL esports Season Kickoff event.
Season 2023 Begins
The ranked season has begun, and it will let players earn the following rewards as they climb up the ranks:
- 2 Hextech chests and keys
- 6 icons
- Precision Icon
- Domination Icon
- Sorcery Icon
- Resolve Icon
- Inspiration Icon
- Rune Book Icon
- 3000 Blue Essence
- 8 Champion shards
- Season 2023 Kickoff Icon and Season 2023 Icon
- Mark Maker Ward skin
Champions Updates in 2023
Meanwhile, here’s a quick rundown of the League Champion updates that you can expect:
- Ahri’s ASU is almost here! Look forward to updates on her base, skins, VFX, splashes, and all nine tails.
- Players can also look forward to more mid-scope updates to freshen up older champions’ gameplay fantasies and to modernize the roster overall.
- Aurelion Sol mains can expect a completely updated ability kit for the Star Forger in his upcoming CGU. For more context on the Aurelion Sol CGU, click here.
- League’s Champions team continues to invest in their goals of making a more diverse champion pool that’s inclusive of all cultures, genders, and in-game skill levels for every role. In 2023, players can expect new champions Milio, a male enchanter from Ixtal, and Naafiri, a female midlane Darkin assassin.
Skins in 2023
Lots of skins are also coming your way this year, including:
- In 2023, Kalista, Aurelion Sol, Ivern, and Kled will be getting skins!
- Skin thematics coming in 2023 include the new Faerie Realms skinline and the fan-favorite Cats vs. Dogs skinline.
- For the first event of the new year, Lunar Gods and Mythmakers descend upon the Rift. Look forward to the following skins in patch 13.1 and 13.2:
- Lunar Empress Ashe
- Lunar Guardian Kha’Zix
- Lunar Empress Qiyana
- Lunar Guardian Malphite
- Lunar Emperor Thresh
- Mythmaker Galio
- Mythmaker Garen
- Mythmaker Irelia (Legendary)
- Mythmaker Sivir
- Mythmaker Zyra
- Prestige Mythmaker Sivir
- Prestige Porcelain Lissandra
Ranked in 2023
In 2023, there will be two Ranked Splits, with a Ranked Reset in between, complete with new rewards.
Here’s a breakdown of the new Ranked system for the year:
- Ranked Reset: When Split 2 of the Ranked season starts, the reset will not be as heavy as the one in January given that the game won’t change dramatically enough to warrant making players re-earn their rank to the same extent. The Mid-Year Reset will also be even less significant if a player hasn’t played many games since January.
- Rewards: Players can now earn full ranked rewards each Ranked Split, including icons & emotes, Ranked borders, and a Ranked skin. This means there will be two skins for Ranked this year, as well as some extra rewards for the climb.
- In addition to this, players will no longer have to reach the Gold rank requirement to earn a Ranked skin and can instead, earn it based on a rank-dependent number of Ranked games played.
- Chromas will still be granted based on your final rank at the end of the Split.
Season Kickoff Event
Finally, there’s the Season Kickoff event which began yesterday and ends today. Durint htis event, the LCS, LEC, LCK, LPL, LJL, CBLOL, LLA, PCS, and VCS are hosting a broadcast previewing the 2023 season and highlight the players to watch out for. Plus, players will get a look at what’s in store for LoL Esports in 2023.
This event replaces the League of Legends All-Star Event, giving pros a much-deserved break.
Source: Riot Press Release